April 16, 2014

LIFE | unplugging

This lent, I wanted to do something that would really challenge me and make a difference in my day-to-day life--particularly in the way I communicate with others (for me, an area that always needs work). In my post-grad life, single, working full-time and saving money by living at home, it is so tempting to compare my life with those of others--whether it's someone's flawless hair, their awesome vacation, a shiny new engagement ring (and lovely fiancĂ©) or a cool new job and enviable big city life. 


That we can see all this unfolding nearly constantly on social media? It makes a pity party waaaay too easy. I chose to unplug during these 40 days--no social media! No facebook stalking, no time spent forming my thoughts into clever tweets, and no worrying about capturing the perfect instagram-worthy moment. 


Honestly? After a few days I hardly missed it! As someone who loves photography and writing, I thought joy gained from those activities would lessen once constantly sharing them wasn't an option. Isn't that so backwards? Instead I've been able to step back, focus on relishing every moment, and in actually sharing in others' lives...in real life (or on the phone, or via snail mail, or a little gchat in between tasks at work). 

I've thought of Lent in the past as just denying myself things--things evidently so minor that I can't even remember what they were! This time around, while I did deny myself the world of social media (hasn't it become something like another world?), I took that void and filled it with other things. Things that would not only be spiritually, physically and emotionally enriching, but would bring a smile to someone's face the way a like or retweet can't.

Like taking a picture of the sunset so I can pull it out next time I have an itch to paint, rather than idly flipping through filters. Crafting my thoughts gradually into my journal or a blog post instead of live-tweeting. A birthday note sent in the mail instead of a last-minute facebook post.

As Easter approaches, I've been taking time to reflect on how refreshing it has been to step back and live life without my phone constantly by my side. It's been said that "comparison is the thief of joy" and how true that is! Focusing our hearts on gratitude is infinitely more productive. I hope you take the time soon to step away from your social networks, even if only for an hour or two, and write a letter or call a friend to catch up and think about all that there is to be grateful for.


Cheers to unplugging!

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment